Thursday, December 13, 2012

In order to get to the top (i.e. to enjoy the holiday season) plan breaks, and rest


For the next short while, I’ll be sending you a few email notes about my rock climbing life lessons. It is unusual for me to send out such messages. My intention is to share my experiences and ideas for improving my own health, hoping that you will find it useful in caring for your own health. As I learn to make better use of “e-sharing technology”, I’ll be able to find better ways to share this with you. Suggestions are welcome! 


Yesterday I told you about my recent life lessons from rock climbing.

Lesson #1: Pace yourself. Plan your breaks much sooner than they seem necessary. In climbing, if you don’t rest along the way, you can’t make it to the top

It’s not even Christmas holidays yet, but for next year I’ve already promised myself that I will take a couple of days off around Halloween. Keep reading to find out why!



I have to say that I am more concerned than ever this year about the health and wellness of people around me: friends, patients, students, fellow practitioners, including myself, honestly. It’s as if the “elastic of our health” has already fully stretched to its limit – and this has happened earlier than in the typical year. There is no give left in the elastic and consequently we all experience repeated colds & flus, bouts of lingering symptoms, unusual pains etc. What’s even more of a concern? We don’t bounce back easily to our normal self. Mostly, we all seem pretty exhausted. Usually, I see more of that exhaustion in February, in the depth of the winter. But did you notice that we’ve barely even had a winter yet?

Back to climbing
A climbing gym in Hamilton.  A long climb that looks more advanced and intimidating and extreme than it is. Let me draw you a map of the route. First, a crossing, a kind of bridge to traverse. The handholds look too smooth, the footholds too small. Still, it doesn’t look like the most challenging part of the climb. Next is a small ledge - not a big deal, so I look onward to the roof. The roof is a horizontal section where you hang, and it looks extremely challenging. Once the roof is crossed, the rest of the route is a non-event vertical climb.

“I really want to do this”, I think. “It looks like so much fun! But am I really going to be able to do it?” The roof in particular looks pretty athletic, and I am notoriously bad at chin-ups. (The route is spectacular, but much easier than the one in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Owz-XX4Kk8)
I know I can do it, because I’ve done such things before, and I know the route is designed to my level of climbing, so let’s try!

Hang in there!
I get my gear ready and start out. The crossing, the ledge, and the roof. I manage to go over that roof - so much fun! Two additional moves and I am 3/4 through the entire climb. I am tired, but it all feels good, and the remainder is just the unchallenging vertical section anyways. It turns out though, that the climb isn’t so vertical after all. Instead, there is a mild backward slope I had not noticed. I make three moves and bam! Here I am, hanging from the rope. It’s top rope climbing, so the fall is no big deal. I stabilize myself and try again. Oh, my left biceps! I need to hold that smooth left handhold firmly to reach out to the right. Wham! I am hanging again, legs wobbly in the air. Why isn’t there a better handle for my left hand? Thank goodness for the rope!

What happened? What should I do now? 

Stay tuned!

Sincèrement, et bonne santé!
Patricia


No comments:

Post a Comment