Thursday, January 5, 2017

Winter tip #1: Plan something to look forward to in the new year - the anticipation will keep you going.

  • My best one was hiking on lake Superior, late December three years ago, while the lake looked solid-frozen. Being immersed in the immense white beauty of Northern Ontario left me with unforgettable memories. OK, not quite your style? I get it!  ... I had to wear extra protection for every square inch of my body to avoid frostbite and I still loved it. But how about a trip south: Las Vegas, Costa Rica, Disneyland park in San Diego? There are many affordable alternatives, and if going away is not an option, think of a great show, a spa treat, an exquisite dining experience, paragliding, or anything you’ll be dreaming about for months ahead of time, and raving about again and again after you’ve done it!
  • That’s the whole thing; we dread the cold months and struggle to get by. But looking forward to something out of the ordinary can keep you going through the most challenging times. It gives you a goal, something you are excited to prepare, it is a source of motivation, and provides an exciting anticipation that smoothens the edges of daily life. I’ve tried it many times, for instance the expectation of a trip to Phoenix and Monument Valley in February made the stressors of my past busy corporate job easier to manage (together with a daily Tai-Chi routine). Another example is after the passing of my husband: part of what kept me going through Christmas was the anticipation of a trip to New York and skiing in Vermont with my nephews in February, as well as my preparation for a one-week hike in Killarney Park in July (another part was the love and support of my family and friends).
  • Is it too late for an exciting trip this year? Then I’m sure that planning a weekend or a special evening in a month or two will cheer you up!

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment