Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Life After Reaching the Top


Do you remember my story from yesterday, making it to the top of a difficult climb with a roof followed by an unexpectedly difficult incline? It took me many attempts before that achievement, falling but still able to go on, thanks to the rope.

That climb was mid-January. As February began, I felt the toll from winter’s busy times. Guess what? I climbed again recently (different gym), and it was my worst climbing session ever. I did well at first, with a couple of beautiful 5.10 climbs (If you’re not familiar with the climbing grading system: 5.5 is pretty easy; 5.10 can be quite challenging, and 5.12 would take more strength training and practice than I can contemplate.) But these two nice climbs killed my forearms and I had no stamina for the rest of the session. In a word, I was (excuse my English, because you’ll never hear me excuse my French) pooped.

No wonder. I had a full clinic schedule that week, with additional meetings and an evening presentation, and I also taught Tai-Chi and did Shiatsu that same morning, and was up for a concert after that. Which reminds me of the saying: “do what I say, not what I do”. Or from my limited recollection of high school Latin: “medice curate ipsum” (aka doctor, cure yourself first). I missed the very point I was trying to get across in my climbing stories: “Get your rest” … hmmm!
And my digestion went off again. So I reviewed my “Important versus Urgent” time management matrix, so that I can have more down time. Now, I am shedding off of my immediate schedule all that is not both important and urgent. The important but not urgent will be for the coming weeks. As for the neither important nor urgent items, maybe they are not meant to happen…  But don’t get me wrong, having fun is important and stays in the mix!

How do I decide which activities are important, keeping me safe and healthy?
Soon I’ll elaborate on the safety rope idea some more, and how it applies to health and stamina.

That’s for next time, stay tuned!

Sincèrement, et bonne santé!
Patricia

No comments:

Post a Comment